Do you excel at spatial problem solving? Do you love meeting new people? Are you articulate? Can you visualize multiple solutions for a design problem? Are you a quick learner? Can you calculate, innovate & create at a rapid rate? Would you like to earn the appreciation of your boss, colleagues and clients doing the best work of your career? If your answers are yes, then you could be our next designer!
Motawi Tileworks in Ann Arbor, Michigan, has a rare and highly coveted opening on our project installation design team. Our installation designers routinely win regional and national awards for their projects, and our clients have high expectations of our professionalism and design. We work with homeowners, interior designers, and sales reps from re-sellers. Some of the details about the position are noted below:
- Become familiar with Motawi Tileworks' line of products and glazes, design services, retail pricing, catalog and portfolio
- Respond to requests for design assistance via email, telephone and fax
- Schedule and participate in design consultation meetings with clients; establish rapport, discuss project parameters, preferences, budget; provide tile samples
- Conduct site visits to obtain accurate measurements
- Develop multiple design solutions for each project including color renderings
- Count tiles, prepare list of parts and quotes in QuickBooks
- Review options and quotes with customers; prepare final design
- Schedule projects and create studio work orders
- Draw up details of custom work for use in production
- Collect and record design fees, deposits and final payments
- As the face of the design department: attend awards presentations, network at conferences and trade events, maintain relationships with members of the trades
Customer Service to Tile Showrooms Nationwide
- Process wholesale orders from tile showrooms all over US
- Provide design assistance to tile showroom representatives
- Respond promptly to requests for information and assistance with orders
- Write content for our Showroom Newsletter
Front Showroom Assistance and Maintenance
- Maintain tile samples, concept boards and work area
- Update portfolio periodically
- Meet with walk-in design clients
- Generate content for the Motawi blog including Design Tips
- Post projects and images on Pinterest, Houzz and Facebook
General Office & Administration
- Act as a resource for technical installation questions
- Strategize with design team on marketing, sales, events and customer service
- Maintain customer database in Zoho
- Answer phones and provide assistance to customers
- Participate in weekly Installation Marketing meetings and Admin meeting
- Participate in studio and marketing events, including biannual Seconds Sales
Qualifications - We are seeking a problem solver with a design background, someone who knows and loves our tiles and can envision incorporating them into beautiful projects. Applicants must be able to work cooperatively, accepting input on project designs while contributing positively to the staff environment. Our ideal candidate is great with people and welcomes customer interaction; someone who is diplomatic, yet comfortable steering clients towards the best solution. A bachelor’s degree, outstanding oral and written communication skills, and good computer skills are required.
The Company - Motawi Tileworks is a nationally recognized maker of distinctive art tiles for homes and public places. Our tiles are valued for their design and quality. And we make our tile in a way that is healthy for our people, solidly profitable, and actually kind of fun. We have an intentional workplace culture in which we emphasize positivity, constant improvement, and consistently high performance. Our place is low on politics and we hire based on perceived cultural fit along with pre-existing skills and knowledge. There isn’t much of a corporate ladder to climb, but you will be making the world a more beautiful place from day one.
Compensation is negotiable depending on ability, skills, and work experience. Along with wages, all employees receive approx. $5,000 in benefits, including paid holidays, vacation, and personal days. In addition, we offer gift certificates, staff discounts, monthly luncheons, monthly Cake Day, plus the priceless satisfaction of working with great people in a healthy organization!
Send all of the items listed below for us to peruse. E-mail your complete application packet to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Installation Designer.
- One-page cover letter that describes why you are the right person for the job and why you're interested in working at Motawi Tileworks specifically.
- Resume (2 pages maximum).
- On a separate sheet, include 2 brief essays: 1) identify your favorite Motawi installation and explain why (select from the Installation Gallery on our website). 2) Describe a time when you were extra helpful to a co-worker, client or supervisor.
- Salary history.
- At least three images of previous design work, regardless of medium.
For more information, check out our website at http://www.motawi.com. Applicants are highly encouraged to attend the free weekly tour of the Tileworks. Going incognito is best. It happens every Thursday at 11:00am. And sorry, but due to the volume of inquiries, we don’t take phone calls related to our openings.