2017 is a big year for us here at Motawi Tileworks...we're turning 25 and we've made a LOT of tile since we flipped the switch on the first kiln back in '92. For this very special Spotlight On, we wanted to showcase our favorite installation projects. Some are simple, some are grand, all are beautiful and all are absolutely Motawi. So, sit back, relax and enjoy the eye candy.
1. We just had to start at the very beginning. Here is a proud, young Nawal Motawi (with a furry companion) with her first fireplace design all laid out on a sunny driveway. At right, the finished installed masterpiece in a home in Ann Arbor. Notice that some of the relief decorative tiles are the same medieval animals
we make today. The project was glazed in what has become our signature glaze, Lee Green 5002
2. Fast forward a few years and a 60-ton RAM press later, and here we have a fireplace in that same signature glaze with some quintessential Arts & Crafts decorative tiles placed throughout the design.
3. Since we're already cozy by the fire, we'll stick with the fireplaces for a bit. This is by far one of the staff favorites, not only because it is so beautiful, but because the staff took a field trip to see it in person, and would you believe it's even more breathtaking to see up close?
4. This fireplace features Motawi's bright Pear glaze
with classic Arts & Crafts accents, and Motawi style leaving anyone wanting to just curl up with a good book in its presence.
5. Cozy and colorful seem to be a theme here as the designer of this fireplace took Motawi's Caribbean Blue glaze
and ran with it, interspersing subtle colorful accent tiles here and there.
6. A project all in one glaze is anything but boring. This is where different sized tiles, a few relief accent tiles and a spectacular glaze all come together perfectly.
7. Yes, we love Arts & Crafts, but we love Mid-Century Modern too. This fireplace features Motawi's customizable Zelda
art tile. Her endless color variations draw the eye all the way to the top so that no detail is missed.
8. But oh how we love color. The homeowner for this project clearly wasn't afraid of color and texture which we feel creates an installation that gladly takes on the role of focal point in the room.
9. Like we said, some homeowners aren't afraid of color. Notice whose floor this is? Yup, the same person as the fireplace directly above it.
10. We get this question all the time, and yes, you can walk on Motawi tile. Look at that pillowy perfection. Go ahead, take off your socks and feel for yourself!
11. And actually, you'll want to have your socks off to walk on this floor because it's heated!
12. After you walk on the heated floor, just try to extract yourself from such a beautiful shower!
13. This is the perfect example of how a basic color can be anything but basic. The tile here is stacked vertically so that the eye is drawn up to the decorative border.
14. Speaking of anything but basic, this is a shower fit for a queen (ok we suppose a king could be happy here too).
15. The kitchen, we think, is the perfect place to show your Motawi. Here, Charley Harper
shines in all his Mid-Century Modern glory.
16. Speaking of Mid-Century Modern glory, this home strikes the perfect balance between cozy and modern using lots and lots of Motawi tile in a glaze that was designed for the homeowner.
17. We have an inkling that the meals cooked in this kitchen are amazing because the homeowner clearly has excellent taste in cookware, appliances and of course, tile. Here, our 4x4 Outie Circle
tile is showcased in a fabulous small space.
18. Talk about delicious. Here, all the comforts of a modern kitchen are paired with Motawi's classic Songbirds
decorative tiles and field tiles in the soft, dreamy Storm Blue
19. What a statement this backsplash makes in this chef's kitchen. Just a couple of accent tiles are sure to enhance what's being created on the stove.
20. This little slice of heaven wet bar begs for some bubbly. Here, Motawi's Floating Spheres
decorative accent tiles are surrounded by black and juicy pops of color.
22. One of our most popular murals, the Storybook, is shown here at one of the branches of the Ann Arbor District Library. A larger version of this mural is proudly on display at the happiest place on Earth, Disneyland!
23. This pair of lovely custom murals is installed in a Michigan hospital as a part of the hospital's healing arts program. Each piece was individually designed, glazed by hand and put together to make the stunning images.
24. Motawi has the mold for every flag in the United Nations. Here, the collection is installed in its entirety at the University of Michigan Dearborn campus.
25. There are seventeen quilt-style Motawi murals at the University of Michigan Medical Center where patients, visitors and staff are encouraged to feel the texture of the tile to fully appreciate its beauty.
Motawi is just getting started and 2017 is going to be a big year for the Tileworks, with fresh new installation elements, a brand new catalog and countless new installations to share with you, just so you can drool.
If you're interested in speaking with one of our designers about adding a Motawi installation to your home, their pencils are sharpened and they're ready to help!
Our dynamic design team; Julie, Colleen and Leslie.