August 16, 2018
Plant & Operations Manager
At Rovin Ceramics – a Motawi Company
Are you the kind of person who can’t help thinking of better ways to do things? Does it bug you when things are out of place? Does working with people energize you? And are you the calm one in the drama-fest?
If you can answer yes to these questions you might be the person we are looking for!
Motawi Tileworks is seeking a Plant & Operations Manager to lead our clay-making and selling division, Rovin Ceramics.
Rovin is a 60-year old company that provides the regional clay community with raw materials, moist clay, glazes, and other pottery supplies. We buy raw materials by the truckload, mix the clay, and deliver to our customers by the pallet, the box, or how-much-they-can-fit-in-their-car. Our customers include universities, professional ceramic artists, K-12 school teachers, and amateur potters.
We believe that good process, executed by properly selected and trained staff, are the keys to long term success. We use Toyota’s 14 Management Principles, along with our Mojo Manifesto to guide decision-making. Candidates should become familiar with both. In addition, Motawi companies feature open book management and profit-sharing programs which rewards all staff when (EBITDA) profit goals are exceeded.
It is the Plant & Operations Manager’s responsibility to make expectations and goals clear to the staff; then help the team achieve them. There are a variety of ongoing performance targets: production quantity, quality, lead-time, and on-time delivery. There are also sales and customer service targets to be achieved. Half of our small team is responsible for sales, marketing, and the retail store. The other folks manufacture the products and handle bulk shipping and receiving. Resource planning and inventory management is an important facet of the manager’s job as well.
The Plant & Operations Manager reports directly to Nawal Motawi. The candidate is expected to create mutually trusting and respectful relationships at all levels of the company. The right person is a great communicator. They must be able to have those difficult conversations that occur when one is truly holding people accountable.
We are committed to constant improvement. An “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” philosophy is not part of our culture.
• 10 years of experience in plant management
• Demonstrated mechanical acumen
• Financial literacy: P&L, Balance Sheet, Inventory
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, and ability to learn QuickBooks
• Some knowledge of pottery and the strong desire to learn more
• Ability to handle the significant physical demands of the position, including: frequent standing, crouching, bending, and lifting up to 50 lbs.
About the job:
• Ceramic industry experience is not required.
• Helping with the ‘dirty work’ is required
• The work location is Rovin Ceramics, 253 Dino Dr., Ann Arbor, MI.
Compensation, Hours & Benefits
Compensation is negotiable. This is a full-time salaried position which will often require work hours on Saturdays. The value of the benefit package is approx. $5,000. Benefits include health, dental, life, and disability insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation, personal days; also, gift certificates, staff discounts, monthly luncheons, cake days and profit-sharing. In addition to all that, you get the satisfaction of working with great people in a healthy organization.
Submit all the items listed below to: Rovin Manager Job, Jobs@motawi.com
1. Cover letter describing why you would be a great fit for this job and Rovin Ceramics specifically.
2. Resume, 2 pages maximum.
3. Two Essays: One which tells the story of a specific time that you had to deal with an employee who was not meeting expectations. And a second telling about a time when you faced a difficult operations issue, and how you successfully resolved it.
4.Image of something you fixed or constructed with a short description
Hint, follow the application instructions completely and be able to produce three fantastic job references. And sorry, but due to the volume of applicants, we don’t take phone calls or in person solicitations for our open positions.