Do you want to work for a COOL company? Do you have experience with and a LOVE for being physically active at work? Do you thrive on detailed work? Are you a quick learner? Do you work well independently as well as part of a team?
If you can answer yes to all these questions, then we welcome you to apply to our job opening!
The Kiln Room and Glaze Department Assistant will be responsible for assisting the Kiln Room and Glaze Development Team lead in essential functions of the department. These functions include, but are not limited to, Electric Kiln maintenance and repair, Blaauw gas kiln maintenance and repair, bisque ware glaze preparation and organization, material allocation, glaze mixing, quality control and material trouble shooting, glaze application, and glaze testing.
This is a full-time position, reporting to the Kiln Room and Glaze Development team Lead.
Role specific tasks performed by a Kiln Room & Glaze Department Assistant:
- Assist in mixing and quality checking glazes
- Kiln Maintenance – includes changing elements, thermocouples, relays, and Blaauw gas kiln maintenance
- Loading and unloading gas and electric kilns
- Follow safety protocol to ensure a safe work environment
- Dip Glazing – On-site training to meet Motawi aesthetics
- Prepare tiles for dipping – Includes QC of bisqueware and waxing backs of tiles
- Learn the maintenance of the air system and waste-water system
- Perform glaze testing basics – which may include making line blends, triaxial blends, and adjusting glazes for usability
- Perform other tasks as assigned
- Degree in ceramics or previous experience at ceramics/art institution
- Basic carpentry skills preferred
- Experience in Glazy and Insight preferred
- Understanding of electrical circuits
- Experience using Excel software
- Must be able to work very precisely, quickly, and in a clean manner
- Ability to focus independently and understand the needs of the team
- Ability to sit and/or stand for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. repeatedly for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to perform repetitive physical movements (wrist, hand, arm, back & knees)
Compensation & Benefits:
This is an hourly, non-exempt position, starting at $18 an hour, negotiable (experience and skill). In addition to the priceless satisfaction of working with great people in an organization that makes the world a better place, employees receive approximately $5,000 in benefits, including:
- Company sponsored health insurance plan
- Paid vacation, sick/personal time and holidays
- Company paid STD, LTD, and Life insurance
- SIMPLE IRA with employer match
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Up to 50% discount on Motawi tiles and Rovin clay
- Monthly employee “socials”
- Recognition program with monetary and non-monetary rewards
To apply, please email (no phone calls please) resume and cover letter, describing how you meet the job requirements and why you are the best person for the job, to email@example.com.